Dear Mother and Father,
The war has ended! I am coming home within a few days! The Union army has come out victorious; we have won the war. I am overjoyed. I thought the war would last a lifetime! After the battle at Appomattox Courthouse ended, General Grant went to meet with General Lee in order to come up with the Terms of Surrender. They said that 25, 000 rations were to be given to Confederate troops from the Union army, all Confederate weapons and flags were to be turned over, personal belongings of the Confederate army could be kept. Lastly, they said that soldiers from the Confederacy and the Union armies had to promise not to fight anymore. When both generals signed the agreement, cheers exploded from all men. We were filled with relief that the war was finally coming to an end. I am filled with joy that soon, I will be able to see you again. It has been so long; every day of the war, I longed to be with you and now that day is finally near! See you soon!
Your son,
Isaac J. Long

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The final letter home

Evara Wigfall´s 1863 post