The Battle of Bull Run

Dearest Auntie
The Battle of Bull Run happened only hours ago. But by the time this letter reaches you I am sure you have already heard all about the battle. I am pleased and saddened to tell you that I did not fight in the battle. I am glad to be alive and in one piece, but I am saddened that I could not fight for the union or defended my fallen comrades. I keep thinking that maybe if I was there I could have helped. I just hope the souls of the men lost today can find peace. Though I did hear the battle, for my regiment was only a few miles from where the battle took place. The smoke from the guns and cannons lifted so high into the air, it looked as if you could climb all the way to heaven and back.
I love you dearly and will come back to you, four limbed and all.
Sincerely Cathy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evara Wigfall´s 1863 post

The final letter home